February 17, 2012 Drowning Death of Baby in Laval - Feb 13, 2012
My condolences go out to the family.
Laval police said a mother left the baby and his two-and-a-half year old sister unsupervised in the tub for just a few minutes in the family's home in the Auteuil district of Laval on Sunday evening.
When she returned to the bathroom, she found the boy had slipped under the water.
The mother gave the infant mouth–to–mouth resuscitation, and he was rushed to hospital, but he died later that night at Sainte-Justine Children's Hospital.
Hopefully other parents can take a message away from the family’s loss. This week’s events, although tragic, must serve as a wake-up call to parents. Let this drowning serve as a reminder that it only takes 15 to 20 seconds for a toddler to drown, in as little as a few centimeters of water.
Jonathan Halpert, former National Lifeguard Instructor and the director of CPR Instructor's Network Canada states parents are responsible for their children when in or around water, be it a swimming pool or a bathtub. The parent must stay in the bathroom when the baby takes a bath to ensure safety; this responsibility should never be given to an older sister or brother. To avoid distraction, they should bring everything they might need into the bathroom before they run the bath – towels, pajamas, even a cordless phone – so that there is never a reason to leave a child unattended. In addition, parents must know what to do in case of life-threatening emergencies, namely, learn CPR.